ASN Events Pty Ltd and ASN Conferences Pty Ltd (referred to in this document as ASN) endeavours to deal with personal information in accordance with Australian Privacy Principles. Personal Information is information or an opinion that identifies or could reasonably identify an individual.
ASN Events is one of the largest Professional Conference Organisers (PCO) in Australia, managing in excess of 50 events per year. ASN also manages the membership of numerous professional societies. In order to successfully carry out these activities ASN collects and handles personal information on a regular basis.
Collection of personal information
ASN collects personal information from members of its client organisations, employees, directors and committee members, suppliers, service providers and other people connected with its activities.
The types of personal information ASN collects include:
· contact details (for example name, address, professional information, telephone numbers and email)
· demographic information (for example, gender and date of birth)
· professional information (for example, qualifications and specialties)
· activity‐related information (participation in ASN managed activities and events).
In conducting its activities ASN may collect health and other sensitive information. For example, ASN collects:
· medical history information from employees
· information about a members’ membership in other professional associations.
ASN collects personal information directly from individuals through various channels, including:
· the ASN website and online surveys
· delegate registration forms and other correspondence (including electronically)
· telephone calls
· face-to-face contact.
Purpose of Collection and Use
ASN collects personal information as required to carry out one or more of its functions or
· to provide membership services and maintain membership records
· to provide continuing professional development, education and training
· to manage conferences and events
· to enable planning, policy and service development
· to market, advertise or to conduct or facilitate member surveys (such surveys will be communicated from ASN on behalf of a third party in accordance with the ASN Survey Policy)
· to recruit suitable staff within ASN
· to communicate with directors about meetings and ASN and client business
· to communicate with staff about work-related matters
· Information may also be used for secondary purposes as required or permitted by law.
ASN only discloses personal information for the primary purpose for which it was collected, or for a secondary purpose as required or permitted by law.
For example, ASN may disclose personal information to third parties it engages to assist in performing its functions, most often related to the Annual Scientific Meeting. Where disclosure takes place, ASN will include protective provisions regarding the handling of personal information in contracts with third parties.
When conducting a member survey on behalf of a third party, ASN does not disclose personal information to that third party.
Storage and Security
ASN stores personal information electronically and in hard copy, and has secure record keeping systems. ASN takes all reasonable steps to protect personal information from unauthorised use, access, disclosure and alteration.
IT protection systems and internal procedures are also utilised to protect the personal information held by ASN. ASN may store electronic information on remote servers or in the cloud directly or through contracted agencies (such as Currinda P/L) – all information is securely stored in Australia with backups securely stored in the United States of America and encrypted before transfer back to Australia).
ASN uses Secure Socket Layer (SSL) certificates, which are the industry standard, for encrypting personal ASN membership information collected via the ASN website. ASN does not store member credit or debit card information. ASN uses a third party provider, which provides a secure online payment gateway solution for credit card and direct debit processing of ASN membership payments.
Personal data is maintained under strict security and is only to be accessed internally by the ASN staff who require access as part of their role or to complete a task.
Records containing personal information will be held by ASN until there is no longer a need or obligation to retain such records, after which time they will be deleted, destroyed or de-identified.
A record of each visit to the ASN website is logged – this is a small data file known as a cookie. A cookie does not identify individuals personally, but it does identify computers. Browser settings can be adjusted to disable cookies.
The following information from cookies is recorded to compile statistical information about the use of the ASN website. It is not used for any other purpose.
· IP address and/or domain name
· Operating system (type of browser and platform)
· The date, time and length of visit to the ASN or Conference website
· Pages and resources accessed, as well as documents downloaded
Access and Correction
ASN takes all reasonable steps to maintain the accuracy of personal information it holds. Individuals are encouraged to contact ASN if the personal information held is incorrect or to notify ASN if personal information has changed.
Society members and/or delegates can view and change their personal details via their Currinda profile.
Complaints and concerns
Any concerns about ASN’s handling of personal information should be directed to the ASN Executive Director by telephone (03) 8658 9535 or email firstname.lastname@example.org ASN may require complaints to be submitted in writing. After ASN receives all the relevant information, it will endeavour to resolve the complaint as soon as reasonably practical.
The website of the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner (OAIC) is an additional source of information www.oaic.gov.au. If an individual is not satisfied with how ASN has handled their complaint, they may wish to contact the OAIC
What is a cookie?
• Strictly necessary cookies. These are cookies required for the operation of Our Website.
• Analytical/performance cookies. They allow us to recognise and count the number of visitors and to see how visitors move around Our Website when they are using it. This helps us to improve the way Our Website works, for example, by ensuring users find what they are looking for easily.
• Functionality cookies. These are used to recognise you when you return to Our Website. This enables us to personalise our content for you, greet you by name and remember your preferences (for example, your choice of language or region).
• Targeting cookies. These cookies record your visit to Our Website, the pages you have visited and the links you have followed. We will use this information to make Our Website and the advertising displayed on it more relevant to your interests. We may also share this information with third parties for this purpose.
To opt out of being tracked by Google Analytics please see http://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout.
More information about cookies
To find out more about cookies, including how to see what cookies have been set and how to manage and delete them, visit www.aboutcookies.org or www.allaboutcookies.org.
Date updated: ASN Events © 7/05/2019